Friday, May 4, 2012

Non-Restorative Sleep

Since Austin was born I don't feel refreshed when I wake up. Some may say it's a new mom thing....but it's been 10 years! I used to be able to take a 10 minute nap and that would be good for me. Now no matter how long I sleep I'm still exhausted.

I went to my first sleep study under the advice of a neurologist in 2002. He thought going in it was narcolepsy. The results showed otherwise. It wasn't sleep apnea either. The doctor tried some meds but they didn't have any affect.

New job and new insurance some years later I get my second sleep study after the advice of a pulmonologist. Again nothing conclusive.

Tuesday I went for a consultation at the IU Sleep Disorder Center. They're having me go for my third sleep study. When I spoke with the lady in scheduling she was shocked that this would be the third time. So I now know it's not just Benny and I that think this is odd.

I'm a plus size gal so they also referred me to bariatrics. The paperwork says the first thing the bariatrician requires is to sit through a 2 hour seminar about their services and options. One of the medically supervised weight loss programs is probably what I need. I'm not motivated to exercise. The problem we'll run into is that I'm a very picky eater.

Now I wait for the sleep study in two weeks and hope that the third time will be the charm.

No comments :

Post a Comment