Sunday, September 8, 2013

Maintaining the Status Quo

Just from driving across town to the Hilton on Saturday afternoon Benny and I were drenched in sweat.  We hung out in the hotel room to cool off and he fell asleep.  Before he woke up the rain had started, shutting down WARMfest for the rest of the day.  So we were bored Saturday night with nothing to do and nowhere to go.

View from the 13th floor
View from our room on the 13th floor
During a pause in the showers we went across the street to Dick's Bodacious Bar-B-Q for dinner.  I had the Smoked Salmon Plate with green beans, applesauce, and a sweet corn muffin.  Boy, was that muffin sweet.  It was like eating a cupcake!  The rain stayed away while we ate so we walked around the Circle until it started again.

Sunday morning I woke up and headed down to the fitness center in the lower level.  It took me some minutes to figure out how to program the resistance bike so I could get a workout in before breakfast.  My heart rate averaged in the low 130s and maxed in the low 140s.

Fitness Center at the Hilton

There really weren't many good food options on the continental breakfast.  I ate bacon, biscuit and gravy, yogurt, pineapple, and some oatmeal (which was disgusting).  We walked the Circle again after breakfast before packing up and checking out.  We stopped in this little shop called TeaPots n Treasures that sells a huge variety of loose leaf teas...so many kinds I've never heard of!  I may be headed there to do some Christmas shopping this year.


There were a lot of cool things people had brought in to sell in the marketplace.  I wish I would've taken pictures! Many things we liked but couldn't afford.  Many other things we liked but had no way to transport them home.  Then there were these people on stilts.  Can you imagine walking around for three days in this getup with the heat we've had?


Now you know at these kinds of events there are never any good food choices.  Sunday I ate a gyro from Greiner's Subshop.  Monday I ate a Das Fritz sandwich from Der Pretzel Wagen.  Benny had the same sandwich Sunday and now wants to find Avocado Ranch to use at home.  All weekend I drank only water.

There was a large variety of music throughout the weekend.  Some we stopped to listen to the show and others we headed to the other side of the park so we wouldn't have to hear it.  The only one we sat through the entire performance was Jennie DeVoe.  Benny had this little (dragonfly?) pay a visit while we were listening.


How did I do after a weekend of unhealthy food choices?  Benny thought I gained 5 lbs but I knew that there was no way I had that much of a gain.  There was NO GAIN!  I maintained my weight through it all because of the water and walking.

Remember that belt I bought after my weigh in the first week of Slim in 6?


I know I'm doing something right seeing how much I've had to adjust that belt!  Hopefully Benny will be able to take my measurements in time for the next post so we'll know the actual numbers.

Burn It Up! is a lot harder and more confusing than Start It Up! or Ramp It Up! with all the new moves.  I felt that I spent more time scratching my head trying to figure out how to do what they were doing than actually working out. Have you ever used a punching bag to know how low you need to go to punch the bottom?  Rather than punching a punching bag I think it looks more like an attempt at doing The Twist at a faster speed.

The Water & Walking Challenge went well.  The team's decided to continually offer this 2 week challenge to jump start or reboot weight loss.  The next one starts tomorrow.  If you're interested in joining this challenge now or in the near future, please leave a note on the Facebook page.  I'll send you a friend request so that I can add you to the group.




Weigh In Wedneday

20 comments :

  1. Looks like you enjoyed a pretty eventful weekend. Better than me because I'm still having to be wise about the foo dI choose to consume. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WARMfest was a test for the holidays with my family. I don't know if anyone's going to bring or make healthy food that I'd actually eat. Hopefully it's not too snowy this year that we can go for a walk between meals.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm impressed. Actually exercising in a hotel gym while on vacation. You really think that the water helps yo lose weight? Love your belt. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water definitely helps you lose weight! Several in the first group were already walking before. When they stopped drinking coffee, sodas, and other sugary drinks they saw additional weight lost!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your both enjoying your short holiday and not gaining any weight. Could have been that gyros and bbq are a lot of protein? Water helps for sure. I got a tip from a local woman who is into all kinds of herbal things. She said if you drink 8 ounces of water in the morning upon waking, you both hydrate yourself and fill up your stomach minimizing your hunger. I've tried it and it works!

    Over from LinkedIn group BHB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink 16 oz of water with my workouts in the morning. Sometimes I'm starving afterwards and other times I'm not hungry until later. The water is working with the portion control making me feel like I don't need to eat so much for dinner all the time.

      Delete
  4. You go girl! Not only did you enjoy yourself but you also coached yourself through the food challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I applaud you. I have the hardest time when I am on vacation and trying to control my food. I am a foodie at heart and want to always try something new. Great job on keeping your workout going even away from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really weren't away from home since it was in town but I get it. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on getting through your holiday without weight gain and on getting to the gym at the hotel. I always start off intending to go there and actually make it there about a quarter of the time. :) I like the look of the blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only set the alarm for Benny to get up. I don't think I really slept that much so when I saw the sun was up I got up too LOL.

      Delete
  7. looks like a FUN weekend! and you are seriously doing AWESOME loosing weight! CONGRATS to you for being so dedicated!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when I can move up to another notch in my belt :) That is the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on not gaining weight over the weekend. That's as much a win as not losing weight. As a life-long dieter we need to treat ourselves to "forbidden" foods once in a while otherwise we'll always feel deprived and eventually give up trying to lose weight. However, I've learned it's important not to use that as an excuse to go off the rails too often or you can begin to repeat your bad habits.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome that you didn't gain any weight over the weekend. It seems like every time I take a trip, it's hello to new pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want everything you ate first of all lol. You are keeping me inspired to continue my weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! What an accomplishment! I love that you can see physical evidence from your belt. I need to get serious about my weight, but I don't even know where to start. I have absolutely no willpower either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could say the same after our holiday. I think I put on about 2kgs in only 2.5 weeks! America certainly knows how to load your plate up. The portions were so large I generally only ate once a day (which is not great for weight loss or maintaining the status quo).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on your eating over the holiday! I think you are going to have to get a new belt soon!!

    ReplyDelete