Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Famous in Five Challenge Day 1

I signed up for Creating Fame's Famous in Five Challenge.  This challenge is supposed to help you get "business famous" over a five day period, going from an unknown to being featured everywhere.  Have any of you participated in this program before?  I'm always skeptical of things like this.  We'll see what this challenge does for me.


Today's assignment is to talk about me.  What's special about me?  Where do I do my work?  What do I do in my spare time?  What is my story?  To help write about all this they provided a 14 question worksheet to hash out all the details.


Who/What is The Long and Winding Road to Wellness?

We (not yet more than me but hopefully soon) are a team of individuals on our own journey to improve our health and wellness.  We're here as a support system for others on their journeys, offering motivation, nutrition tips, fitness tips, and more through Facebook and via phone when needed.  Our ideal customer would be someone aged 40+ who is relatively new to or hesitant about dieting and exercise (as I was).  We take the slow and steady path to improve the well-being of others, primarily using the Weight Watchers lifestyle and Beachbody workouts.

How, When, & Why

Eating healthier (not going to call it dieting) and exercising were nowhere on the radar before.  Once I started my journey everything just started clicking and making sense to me.  Now I can't see myself going back to the way I was.  I started The Long and Winding Road to Wellness after completing my first exercise program because I want to share my experience with others and help them enjoy a healthier life.

Previous Self-Employment

I sold Avon for a few years but I was my biggest customer.  I wasn't achieving anything but discounted merchandise and that wasn't the goal of the business.  I'm not a salesperson and never have been.  So I just cancelled everything and never looked back.  I bought for a little bit afterwards from another rep but that stopped too.  It's been at least 7 years since I bought anything Avon.

Other Employment

For six years I worked for H&R Block preparing taxes.  I enjoyed helping others take care of the mundane task of completing tax returns but it never took hold of my heart.  I always felt like something was missing and it wasn't where I belonged.  But I stayed because I knew nothing else.  Once I started The Long and Winding Road to Wellness I decided not to return to H&R Block.

My Full Time Job

I've been purchasing aircraft hardware for 7.5 years now.  I didn't know anything about what I was buying before.  I've learned some over the years but still have no clue about a lot of things, or at least they just don't make sense to me.

Outside my 40-hour workweek I have the evenings and weekends to dedicate to The Long and Winding Road to Wellness.  I'm not sure what percentage of my week that would be.  Since I have Austin on the weekends, whatever I do then would need to involve him.

Formal Training/Education

Like many others who've joined the Beachbody family I have no formal training or education in this business.  I just enjoy helping others and this journey has been relatively easy for me so far.  Perhaps I'll get some sort of life or health coach certification down the road.

Expertise or Lack Thereof?

There are things that I may know more than others but there's always someone who knows more than me.  I don't think that I could consider myself an expert at anything.  Have any of you seen anything here that you think I should classify myself as an expert?

Me vs. Competition

This is another area I struggle at defining.  What sets me apart from other coaches, trainers, etc.?  Maybe I could say that I try to keep everything casual and laid back, not wanting to rush anything.  That's why I used the word LONG in the name.

Hobbies

I've always enjoyed doing crafts although I haven't really felt creative for several years.  I need to find those creative juices again so I can tap into them.

Gardening is a new found hobby of mine.  I really enjoyed working on my garden this year.  It was the first time I was able to get anything to grow.  Everything kept dying or just not doing much at the old house.  So I don't know if it was more of a change in area or a change in me that made the difference.

Business Milestones

We're in the second day of my first challenge running solo.  I just need to figure out how to get the challengers to more actively post in the group.  My aunt is my first paying customer.

Failure is not an Option (Questions 11 & 12)

I don't think there's been any major failures or flops in my business.  The Long and Winding Road to Wellness is still in it's infancy.

Changing Life?

Since starting The Long and Winding Road to Wellness I've started reading personal development books.  Our team has a recommended reading list but I've been struggling to get through those.  If I read too much non-fiction it tends to bore me so I'm trying to find my own reading list.  That's how I got into the overcoming shyness and glossophobia topics.

Plans for the Future

I want to have local events but I need to find a location for that yet.  I can't afford to pay most facility rental fees as some are more than my mortgage.  Perhaps I'll find something working with the Indiana Healthy Weight Initiative.  I'd also like to have some coaches on my team that are more extroverted so they can handle most of the public speaking.  Then we can have a booth at various events around town with workout demonstrations or whatever.

How do you think I did here?  Did I tell my story well?

17 comments :

  1. Hi Cassandra, I'm following to see how your challenge goes. I wish you well on your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has to start at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from SITS SHAREFEST, for me it's about consistency-keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job summing it all up. Good luck with your journey - sounds like you'll be well prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like an interesting challenge. I'll have to go check it out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, very impressive resume of work! I think it's safe to say you're very experienced in various skill sets. I'm definitely looking forward to following you as you go along in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have already proven you are up for some hard challenges and I know you will succeed with this one also. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not heard of this challenge. Is there a website for it? I think you are doing very well. Wellness is a long road and a lifestyle so you will be great at coaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how often this challenge pops up but you can register to be notified when the next one is on. http://famousinfive.com/get-famous/

      Delete
  9. This will be another great journey for you and all of us following you. You're up for it! I'm impressed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading about your journey - it sounds like life was happening to you but now it looks like you are grabbing hold and making life happen. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you have found the path to making a life rather than just a living. You may want to take a class on public speaking because it will boost your confidence. As far as what sets you apart from the competition, I think that realizing what tools your unique life experience enables you to offer others, is something that will naturally unfold with time. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool challenge, the process so far is great at putting everything in perspective. Good luck, though I doubt you'll need it, you're pretty focused. I can't wait to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that, failure is not an option. I'm doing so many projects now and at time it gets overwhelming. But I have to remember that it will pay off. Even at times when I do feel like I "failed" I guess it was an opportunity in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was an awesome post where I got to know so many more things about you, Cassi! I think you are the perfect candidate to be a coach. It was so brave of you to step outside of your comfort zone and take on an opportunity like this! Thanks so much for supporting me on my new linky Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you've been featured! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post! I also am a BB coach and working on being healthy. Since becoming a coach almost three years ago, I've had two children, so my road has definitely been windy! :) Good luck to you and I look forward to following you on your journey!

    Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

    ~~April~~
    100lbCountdown.com

    ReplyDelete