Friday, January 17, 2014

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake



Wednesday night I tried the first recipe from Relish Meal Planning Service.  It's relatively simple to prepare but takes a while with cutting everything up.  I see why they classified this as a freezer recipe - make ahead, freeze, and cook later.

Serves 8
Prep Time:  15 Minutes  -  Cook Time:  40 minutes

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
(If you buy the huge breasts from Sam's Club you'll only need two of them.)
2 TBSP olive oil (not listed as an ingredient in the recipe)
Salt & pepper (not listed as an ingredient in the recipe)
1 6-oz package stuffing mix for chicken
1 10.75-oz can cream of chicken soup
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
3 cups broccoli, cut into florets
2 cups cooked ham, chopped
6 slices Swiss cheese

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Cut the chicken into cubes.  Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the chicken cubes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Brown on all sides for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.  (I forgot to get the picture!)
  3. Prepare stuffing as directed on package.  Mix soup and mustard in a medium bowl.  Stir in chicken, broccoli, and ham.  (I mixed the cooked stuffing in with the ham, broccoli, soup and mustard together in the bowl.)
  4. (I combined the stuffing mixture in the skillet with the chicken.) Spoon into a 2-qt casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Top with cheese slices and stuffing.
  5. If preparing this recipe as a make ahead meal, cover with foil and lay flat in the freezer.
  6. Bake 35-40 minutes or until heated through.

per serving: 382 calories; 45 grams protein; 12 grams total fat; 2 grams fiber; 5 grams saturated fat; 23 grams carbohydrates; 111 mgs cholesterol; 1091 mgs sodium; 10 WW points plus

Benny was confused with me cutting up the chicken.  Normally with cordon bleu you're stuffing chicken.  I've tried to stuff chicken before but wasn't very successful with it.  I like this way much better than the traditional preparation.

I don't think there was enough seasoning with this recipe.  Just salt and pepper wasn't enough...the flavor was kind of bland to me.  Benny said there was enough seasoning for him and that he wants me to keep the recipe in my stockpile.  I'll try adding garlic powder when I warm up leftovers to see if that helps any.  What spices would you add to this recipe?

8 comments :

  1. This is something I so would try. I had my fiance try chicken cordon bleu a few weeks ago and he loved it. This would be a larger dish for our family I bet to share! Pinned it so I can attempt to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks good! I am interested in seeing what other meals you are doing with the Relish Meal Planning Service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I haven't had chicken cordon bleu since high school. It sounds like it's time for a redo. I've breastfed all four of my children, but I have to disagree with the no pain part if it's done right. I think it depends on the person. My sons latched fine, but the first two weeks, were a little painful, and had cracked breasts. My older daughter latched fine, but like to spit out my nipple then suck it back in (that's just her personality I've found). My baby is probably the easiest on my breast, less pain (except for what I believe is memory pain from daughter 1), and feeds great. This is a great post! Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

    ~~April~~
    100lbCountdown.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cassi!
    I actually have a membership to Relish as well. I would love to make this recipe, but I have one that doesn't eat chicken (vegetarian) and one that hates Swiss cheese (weirdatarian). Aside from making it with the classic ingredients, do you think I could substitute a different cheese? Maybe I can ask in the cheese department at WholeFoods from something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard about Relish before. I love chicken cordon bleu,

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good. I wonder if the recipe is counting on more flavor from the stuffing? With that in mind, I might add "poultry seasoning" (I think that's a mix), or sage, thyme, and rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This puts the packaged chicken cordon bleu recipe I've seen in a frozen pack to shame! Those are the reason I don't really like the sound of the recipe, but you are making me want to try this to see if I would like it. It looks really tasty! Thank you for sharing with us at Countdown in Style! Don't forget to stop by Friday to see if you are featured! xo

    ReplyDelete