Sunday, June 2, 2013

Tai Cheng Week 4 - Painfully COMPLETED

For years I had pain down my right leg which I thought to be sciatica but the doctors would never say that's what it was.  Once I reached the point of constant pain without relief my doctor sent me to physical therapy. The PT immediately knew what it was - my IT band and piriformis muscle were extremely tight and would rub my sciatic nerve.  She found the tight spots and worked them out; it was painful in that instant but afterwards sweet relief!  I was nearly pain free in my leg for the first time in years.  The PT gave me some stretches and instructions for what to do whenever the pain flared up.









Well, this week's Neural Reboot 2 introduced from rolling of the quads - the rectus femoris and vastus lateralis.  Laying on the roller was a challenge.  I felt like a beached whale trying to get on there!  Then came the actual rolling of my right leg.  OMG I thought I was going to die!  There was instant pain that felt like someone was stabbing my leg multiple times.  I was crying and screaming a little while trying to roll.  Then I started laughing...I don't know why experiencing this pain was so comical to me.  Then came the left leg.  Hello, pain!  Where did you come from?  I had no idea there were tight spots on my left leg too!

 

Benny was watching me the whole time.  While I was the beached whale screaming and crying I told him that we should've filmed this experience for America's Funniest Home Videos!

Well, all that pain made me nauseous and I had much difficulty performing the rest of the workout.  I shook for hours afterwards the first day.  It was around day 4 that the pain had subsided enough post foam rolling that I could complete the rest of the workout as my normal self.  Sure, the pain is still there when I roll the quads but it's nothing like those first few days.

There were several other new moves in Neural Reboot 2 but it was all a blur because of the pain.  I completed everything but it wasn't an enjoyable week.  This set of Tai Cheng moves was more complicated than the first ones so I think I missed out on the full experience since I was concentrating on making the pain go away.

4 comments :

  1. Sometimes you have to experience pain to get to the better parts of life, but there is nothing worse then inflicting the pain on yourself but knowing it will be for the better--when ever that is. I laugh sometimes when I'm in pain too because I think it is absolutely ridiculous the way I react. It also helps to sooth the nerves when you laugh. I hope everything works out for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot less pain in week 5 so I'm breathing away the pain, it's working itself out, or both.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me a lot of when my husband hurt his back last year and had to have physical therapy. He knew it was helping him, but it was hard to get through with all the pain.

    Good luck and congratulations on working through the pain!

    ReplyDelete