As you well know I struggled to get in all my containers during the 21 Day Fix. This taco salad that I came up with was big but satisfying. It's very flexible so you can modify just about everything to suit your tastes.
1 cup spinach (can do lettuce too or a mix...whatever you prefer)
2 small heads broccoli
1/2-1 bell pepper
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
Spice mix to taste (i.e. oregano, basil, parsley, paprika, allspice, etc.)
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups instant brown rice
1-2 lb ground beef
Taco seasoning (packet or self-made)
1 cup water
1/4 cup feta
4 slices turkey bacon
I'd like to note that Benny won't buy the healthier ground beef (only 73/27) because of the price so I just use less of it in my meals. He doesn't seem to mind that he's not eating so much meat LOL
- Preheat oven to 450. Cut up all your veggies (except the spinach) and place into a bowl with the garlic. Add your preferred spice mix and the olive oil. Toss well. Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish and place in the oven.
- Meanwhile brown the ground beef and add salt & pepper to taste. Drain and add the taco seasoning and water. Stir well. Heat to boiling and reduce to simmer. Most of the liquid will be absorbed.
- While the beef is browning cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- When everything is almost done, cook the bacon in the microwave.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. Add 2 cups of the veggies. Add 2/3 cup of the rice (save the rest for leftovers or serve to members of your family). Add up to 3/4 cup of the ground beef mixture. Top with the feta and bacon.